I started this venture in 2008 as an avenue to talk about a wide variety of topics, but primarily as a SCUBA blog under the name "Musings from the Deep Blue Sea". It's evolved. My renewed interest in health, fitness, and nutrition (at the age of 43) has brought me to where I am today, and this site reflects that. Having said that, my original mission statement hasn't changed...

Our lives are important only because of the impact they have on the lives of others. Making a difference is important. This blog isn't written for you, it's written for me. My way of reviewing my life, and its significance...Of course, given my wide range of interests in life, there will be much variety. Welcome to my life.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Breakfast Protein

Once I decided that I was doing this (getting in shape), I realized that I needed to pay close attention to when, what, and how much I ate. I think the biggest problem I had with my diet.

The 'when' and 'how much' were easy. I would split my meals up such that I was eating 6 times a day. This, by itself, dictated that the portions would be smaller. I'll be honest, 6 times a day isn't always practical, and I wish I could be more religious about it...but I live in the real world!

'What' was a bit more challenging. You are probably aware of the generally accepted fact that if you want to build muscle, your body needs protein. No problem, I eat lots of protein for snacks, meals, and supplements. Breakfast presents a challenge, however.

If you eat eggs every day, then there's no problem. For me, however, a little variety is always nice. Plus, I don't always have time to prepare a cooked breakfast. Check the breakfast aisle in your grocery store, and look for high protein options. There aren't many.

Enter Kashi! Their 'GOLEAN' line of cold cereals offers a ton of protein, while keeping it healthy with whole grains, low fat, and relatively low sugar content. Add milk, and you have a VERY high protein breakfast.

My personal opinion...'GOLEAN' is the healthiest option, 'GOLEAN Crisp' is the best tasting, and I never much cared for 'GOLEAN Crunch'. Try them, I think you'll discover a tasty, healthy breakfast alternative!


SS

No comments: