I started this venture in 2008 as an avenue to talk about a wide variety of topics, but primarily as a SCUBA blog under the name "Musings from the Deep Blue Sea". It's evolved. My renewed interest in health, fitness, and nutrition (at the age of 43) has brought me to where I am today, and this site reflects that. Having said that, my original mission statement hasn't changed...

Our lives are important only because of the impact they have on the lives of others. Making a difference is important. This blog isn't written for you, it's written for me. My way of reviewing my life, and its significance...Of course, given my wide range of interests in life, there will be much variety. Welcome to my life.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Lifestyle Change, Part Three

Weightlifting. That's what I avoided when I was a kid. I hated it. I loved sports, I hated working out.

In my basement, I had weight bench. It had previously belonged to a friend who lived with me for a while when he was going through his divorce. He never took it when he moved. It wasn't spectacular, but it was functional.

In my usual fashion, I started out with no plan whatsoever. A little of this, a little of that. Curls, dips, bench presses, with no particular plan. As I look back now, it was foolish.

After a few weeks of scatter-brained workouts, I decided I wanted this, and I wanted to do it right. The internet is an amazing place. Soon I was immersed in lots of information about fitness, more than anyone could absorb.

I settled on a 3-day split workout, hitting 2 body parts on each workout day. I was doing 3 on, 1 off. This lasted for a few months, during which I made some impressive gains. But the schedule didn't work for me. I was overtraining, and needed to do things differently. I switched to a 5 day routine, Monday thru Friday, with weekends off.

Having weekends of is my reward for the hard work. I bust my ass all week, and enjoy the results on the weekend. Psychologically, it's done wonders for me. The weekend comes just in time, and by Monday, and mentally prepared for more work. Physically, the 2 day recovery has helped a lot as well.

Having convinced myself that I was serious about this, I bought a new weight bench, bar, attachments, added weight. But it was only a matter of time until I got bored. For the first 11 months, I worked out alone in my basement. It was time for the next step.

I joined a gym...


SS

No comments: